One Wednesday evening in March, a small group of 13 home brewers met at Chicago Street Pub in downtown Joliet, and though our group was small, our ambitions were large. Our purposes were set forth during that first meeting. Our Guild's rasion d'atre are comprised of the following:
- To have monthly meetings where brewers and brewers-to-be can get together to share homebrew, recipes tips and advice
- To have presentations about all things related to beer and brewing
- To participate in both in-house and outside competitions and to encourage our members to become BJCP certified
- To organize special events for our members, such as brew days, cookouts, pub crawls, etc.
- To coordinate cost-saving group buys of ingredients and equipment
- To get various discounts for being a JBG member
- To rule the Joliet homebreing area with an iron fist!
We began that evening with an idea that continues to this day: to make each other better brewers by forming a community to share, create and learn with.
Hops, malt, water, yeast!
We need these four for beer, at least!
With knowledge, care, and sanitation,
Our beer may find friends’ approbation.